Sunday, December 9, 2012

Adjourning From Goups


Working in a group is challenging and rewarding. Dealing with frustration and accomplishing goals are the highs and lows of working in a group. As I reflect on the groups I’ve been a part of, I think the groups that were hardest to say goodbye were the group that experienced some challenges. At the end of the assignment, reflecting on the bonds that were created, the struggles we’ve experienced and the satisfaction of accomplishing our goals seemed all worth it in the end. Working in high-performing groups and groups with established norms are beneficial to working towards/accomplishing goals.  

Every school year after the kindergarten moving up ceremony, the K (Kindergarten) Team has a closing ritual of going out to lunch to celebrate the end of the school year. We reminisce about our trials /triumphs and express appreciation to team members and draft a plan for next school year.

I imagine adjourning from the group of colleagues I have formed while working on my master’s degree in this program with thank you and goodbyes. Hopefully, I will get to meet some of my colleagues in person at graduation. Also I hope to maintain communication to network and continue to share experiences and ideas in the early childhood field.

1 comment:

  1. Katara,

    I never thought about the groups that experienced challenges would be difficult to leave. But now that I think about it, it makes sense. To overcome challenges as a group is a huge accomplishment. Reaching the goals after the challenges is an even greater accomplishment! Being able to work together to achieve one's goals when being faced with challenges is not always an easy thing when working in a group. Frustration can play a part and cause that group to have even more obstacles to overcome. That was a good point!

    ReplyDelete